Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Nehemiah

So I'm reading this book, Visioneering by Andy Stanley. It's pretty awesome and I'll convince you to read it in my review this weekend. But it's a study in Nehemiah and it got me thinking, how cool would it be to spend a day on the wall with Nehemiah??


This guy was an awesome leader. And had so many great lines and ideas! He was respected for not just his ideas, but because his character backed up his words. Through this book, I'm learning a lot about vision and leadership. But here are a few of the many reasons I'd like to spend the day with Nehemiah.

He could've extorted from the people of Jerusalem, like all the other governors had done, but he didn't. He could've shown up and started barking orders. He had a great God-vision after all. But instead he listened to the people. He spent three days just listening and observing. He saw the needs and problems that went deeper than just a wall in need of repair. So he set about fixing those issues of injustice and inequality first. He fixed the invisible scars before repairing the obvious wounds. He earned the people's respect when he joined with their pain and shame, and helped them heal.

Even then, with the respect he had rightfully earned, he could've been the Master Overseer, the Great Delegator, and directed everyone else in the reconstruction of the wall. But no. Nehemiah, grabbed some tools, picked up a sword, and climbed up to work alongside his people to repair not just their wall, but their reputation. He never asked them to do more than he was willing to do himself.

Then there's the way he responds to his enemies. This one made me laugh when I read it. The bad guys of our story are planning to kill him, trying to trick him away from the group so they can just pick him off. Look what he says: "I knew they were scheming to hurt me so I sent messengers back with this: “I’m doing a great work; I can’t come down." (Nehemiah 6:3 MSG). How great is that?! 'Sorry, this work is too important, I can't come out to play.' Such a great line! I'm going to adopt it for...reasons.

I would just really like to spend a day working on the wall with Nehemiah. Get a glimpse of his leadership and sense of vision in person.

What Bible personality would you like to spend the day with?

By the way, my friend Asheley Clark makes some pretty great music, including this song based on Nehemiah that you should check out. I couldn't find an embed-able version. (Ashe, if this song exists in a Youtube or better format somewhere, let me know. This is all my Googling could reveal.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...