Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sore is the New Normal


I've been kicking butt at the gym lately. Finally been consistent for any extended stretch. And by "extended" I mean three weeks. I know it's not really too long, but it's the longest stretch I've gone persistently. So far, I've done four days each week, with 2-3 days each week being p90x days. I am determined to get in shape this year!

Of course, it helps that my latest motivation is a friend who kinda literally died, then ran a 5k a few weeks later. I figure, if she can do that (and be a mommy), I can get my butt to the gym a few times a week. And so far, so good!

It also helps that I've been working days, instead of nights. I just pack my gym bag when I pack my lunch, bring it all with me, and change into my gym clothes before I leave work. Otherwise, I make excuses. Even if I think I'll just change at the gym, something happens once I sit in the car. Excuses show up and I skip out. So I head straight to the gym from work before I have a chance to really think about what I could do instead. The only time this doesn't work so well is when I actually get out of work on time and want to do a p90x class. Class is usually at 5, so getting out at 3 means I have a lot of time to kill before class, which leads to excuses. I did that Monday. My excuse was, "I kinda have a headache, and I should clean my house". Guess what didn't really happen?

So, my keys to learning to love the gym:

  • Prepare for it early.
  • Just go do it before excuses can show up.
  • Take Motrin and/or meclizine just after lunch if its a rough day, so that can't be an excuse.
  • Plan snacks and meals so they don't make you nauseated during class
  • Make friends with at least one trainer.
  • Follow inspiring (non-anorexic) Instagrammers and Pinners. 
  • LOTS OF WATER!!
  • Set goals with rewards.
  • Do a fitness challenge with friends (some fun ones coming up!)

I am determined to be in the best shape of my life by the end of the year and committed to doing what I have to do to make that happen. My plan is to make healthier food choices, and hit the gym 4-5 times a week.

What are you doing to get/stay healthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...