Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

June's Adventure: TAZA!

June's Adventure in the Year of Awesome is complete! Can't believe we're halfway through the year. Crazy! We've got some really awesome adventures planned for the second half of the year, which will make up for the past few months being a little lame (which is why they haven't been documented on the blog.) Although, March was pretty great. We tried yoga. April was an Indian restaurant, and May was a really lame museum.

So anyways. Today we went for a tour of the Taza Chocolate Factory. (Sorry for the picture quality. I forgot my camera so this was all from my phone.)

Now, you may know that I don't eat chocolate unless it's fair trade. Once I learned about the slave labor involved in much of the chocolate industry, I couldn't go near it with a clear conscience. Seriously, I had half a Snickers bar in my purse at that conference and it made me nauseous when I tried to finish it. 

But Taza is Direct Trade and publishes their full reports on their site. I also learned on the tour that they have recently incorporated a third-party to keep them accountable. So I can eat their chocolate in good conscience! YAY!!! Plus, they are better for you than regular chocolates. Most of Taza's chocolate has just two ingredients: Cocoa beans and cane sugar. 

And there are such delicious flavors! I left with the cinnamon one, but it was hard to choose between that, the coconut, vanilla, salt & pepper, and more. (I don't have a picture of the chocolate; I was too busy taste-testing. But enjoy us in hairnets!)

Our guide Allie was awesome. She was perky and super knowledgeable about the process and sourcing of Taza. And she dealt beautifully with the two older ladies who were driving everyone else nuts. They were asking the weirdest questions, and trying to seem like they knew everything, when in reality they knew nothing. And then they kept complaining about the chocolate! But Allie was polite, helpful, and just plain great. We learned a lot about the chocolate-making process, as well as differences between processes. Allie, keep it up! You were the perfect tour guide! We loved this adventure!

We had a lot of fun. And a lot of yummy chocolate. So head over to Taza chocolate sometime! We got a Groupon for it, but it would totally be worth the full price tour ticket.

What's your favorite chocolate flavor? Ever take an awesome factory tour? I'd love to know so I can check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...