Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

10-year-old Mom

I was coming on to post that I have nothing interesting to say, but then I saw an article about a ten-year-old girl who gave birth in Spain. Apparently, she and her mother are Romanian gypsies and the baby's father is also a minor (it didn't give his age). The girl's mother doesn't have an issue with her little girl becoming a mom because "this is the age we marry in Romania". It makes me sad! And I'm not uneducated, I know that this happens all over the world and that in the past it was common for a girl to be considered a woman and "available" when she started menstruating. But seriously? In today's culture? 10 years old is a baby!!! And girls are getting their periods earlier than ever these days, so does that mean we're going to let girls who are 7 years old get married and start having babies?? I'm not even going to get into the risks of a teen pregnancy, never mind a child pregnancy! This makes me sad for this little girl who suddenly grew up way to quickly. And since I have to go to work now, I'm ending my rant. Google it and you'll find the articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...