Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Living for the Lore

[photo source, text added] 

I read Jon Acuff's e-book "The 3 Stages of Every Awesome Idea" this week, which was awesome, as all his stuff is. But one thing in particular stood out to me, as it's something I've been doing with my own life lately.

Acuff talks about how he and his wife have started to make decisions based on the lore of their children's childhood. As in, how will this decision (to buy a house, etc) be told later in their life? What will they remember? He blogged about it in the past here.

I love this because now I have a name for what I've been doing. Living for the Lore. Living in such a way that the story left behind is epic. It's almost like leaving a legacy, but I think of lore as something else, something alive in it's own right. I think of grand journeys and epic battles, unbelievable feats and silly mistakes.

The dictionary says this about Lore:
LORE [lawr, lohr] 1. the body of knowledge, especially of a traditional, anecdotal, or popular nature, on a particular subject. 3. Archaic: the process or act of teaching; instruction. 
I love that second one. The process of teaching. When you're Living for the Lore, you're stepping outside of the daily grind. You're doing something a little scary, a little new, and a lot exciting. And it's impossible to do any of that without learning something which is the basis for Lore.

In times gone by stories were the primary way of teaching life lessons. Why do you think Jesus told so many parables? Why did the father in The Croods tell the story of the little bear? Because people learn from stories. We learn from the experiences of others. Hearing about others' adventures is a way of safely exploring the world while inspiring us to our own greatness.

All of this combined is why I've been doing the One New Thing a Month for 2013. It's why I'm contemplating a Scare-a-Day June (just need more ideas! Only have a handful.) I want to be able to look back on my life and have plenty of Lore and Lessons to pass on. I want the grand journeys and epic battles. Do you?

What do you think about "Living for the Lore"? Share below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...