Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Bizarre Driving

Today was one of the most bizarre driving experiences of my entire life.

So, my brother and I were heading to a friends graduation party. As we were leaving the house it started to rain. No biggie. We get 5 minutes out and it starts pouring. Like, really pouring. So bad that one of the stop lights lost power as we pulled up to it! But, hey, it's just a little rain. And we're New Englanders; a little water isn't gonna ruin our cookout plans! So we keep driving.

A minute later, I can barely see out the windshield, so we decide to take back roads instead of the highway. And then...it rains harder. So now, even going like 10 miles an hour, with the wipers on high, I can't see the car 15 feet ahead of me. At one point, my brother asked if we were even still on the road. And it just kept dumping. It wouldn't let up! By this point, it would've still been more than 30 minutes to the party on a good day, so we decided to go home and, you know, not die.

We get to a rotary and just go all the way around, so we're heading back home (it was too rainy to even see a place to really turn around!). After we called the graduate to say we weren't coming, the rain returned to a normal rain pattern....for a little bit, anyways. We drove by an accident and the sky started to do that crazy pouring thing again. So I'm driving to stay alive, going through all these giant puddles in addition to the water falling from the sky when all of a sudden, it just stops. Like, completely stops.

My brother described it as, "The wipers go down, the windshield is full of water. The wipers go up, and there's not even a drop." It was like we were in a waterfall, and just drove out of it. There wasn't even a slowing, or a sprinkle, or anything. One second we're in the worst rainstorm of my life, and the next there's just blue sky and sunshine. It didn't even feel like my own town! It seemed like a dream, or a movie.  Like we were in some weird jungle trying to survive. The only reason I know it wasn't a dream is that all the streets have giant puddles.

It was bizarre. One of the most bizarre driving experiences of my entire life. Top three, for sure. Yet, reading back over this post, it doesn't capture the danger or drama or weirdness of the whole thing. But trust me. It was insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...