Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Fanboy Meets Fangirl

You could have been my unicorn.

I was on a one day vacation with my friends. You were working a busy candy counter. I stepped up to the register to pay for my snacks and you walked over while the girl was ringing me up.

"Hey, do you know if this soda is a twist off cap or a pop top?"
"No, I don't pay attention to those things. I'm much more interested in the flight pattern of bees."

And just like that, you had my attention.

My non-fandom friend was like:

My casual-fandom friend was like:

But I was like:

"You know, I've been told I bear a striking resemblance to Castiel."

"Yeah, you kind do!" I smile while the cashier tells my total. My casual-fandom friend now understands and my non-fandom friend is still confused, but at least knows the subject. But me?


As I sign the receipt and you shirk responsibility we chat about how wearing a fandom shirt (I was wearing my AKF shirt) in public is an invitation for conversation from other fans. "It's like wearing a Dungeons and Dragons shirt in public," you say, "people just know." You motion towards your chest as you say this. "But I'm not wearing anything fun today, just my apron."

All too soon, I'm shuffling out of the crowded store.

You could have been my unicorn. That was a great pickup line for someone like me. But alas, it wasn't meant to be. I was with friends, and you were working a busy Sunday afternoon at the candy counter.

Now I'm left wondering...why isn't there a dating site for fandoms?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...