Pages

Monday, February 4, 2019

I Tried a Mile a Day for One Month

This year one of my biggest goals is to get my body into a healthy state. So I bought myself a used treadmill for Christmas and decided I should try to run a mile a day.


It's kinda a crazy idea, since I hadn't exercised much in, like, a year (except for that one month in the fall when I "trained" for and ran a 10K at Disney World). But I figured aiming for a mile a day would be easy enough to do even after a long work day, even if I just walked it. One mile is better than no miles, right?

So I started. And by day three made an exception that I could skip up to two days in a row, but I had to make up the miles (thanks a lot, insane work day that was unexpectedly 13 hours long and involved the police). Somewhere in the middle of the month I conceded that my goal would be 26 miles instead of 31, because I realized I wasn't thinking about my vacation when I made the goal.

And then by the time I left for vacation, I had done 22 miles in total.
Did I hit my goal? No. Do I feel awesome about those 22 miles? HECK YES!

While I do wish I had met my goal, this is the most consistent I've been with exercise in forever and I could feel my body getting stronger every week, which is the ultimate goal. Also? I RAN 22 MILES LAST MONTH. Every run my breathing gets easier and my heart rate is more stable. My mile time isn't great. I basically walk with little spurts of running. My pace is slower than a lot of walkers (my average pace for January was 17:57), but I'm moving my body and taking steps towards a healthier me, and that feels amazing!


What made me the most excited today (and led to this blog post), was that I went for an outside run for the first time since October because it was somehow 60 degrees in February in Massachusetts. And it was amazing. To set the stage: I spent last week walking and eating a lot of junk around Disney World with my family. I did not exercise, and I did not make good diet choices. My ankles/calves were so tight and sore from all the walking last week. BUT.

I ran my fastest mile time in, like, two years. My running spurts were longer than the last time I went out and my heart rate and breathing recovered quicker. I thought for sure it would be horrible after a week of unhealthiness, but it was the best run in a very very long time! All those little steps from January actually made a difference!

So now I'm looking at my February goals list and setting the same one: A Mile a Day. 28 miles by the end of February. I'm excited to see where I am come March first!

What are your goals for 2019?

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...