Pages

Friday, April 13, 2018

Confession: I Dislike "Reckless Love"

Photo source

The song Reckless Love bothers me. If you haven't heard it yet, let's pause so you can fix that:


From the first time I heard it, it's struck something in me the wrong way. I mean, I like the overall message of the song. Love it, actually. And the music itself is beautiful. It's a powerful song as a whole! But I hate that it uses the word "reckless".

According to Google, reckless means "without thought or caring about the consequences of an action". That's not God. God has put a lot of thought and care into his decision to come after us. That's what makes it so amazing! That's the reason this song is so powerful!

God worked out his redemption plan for us over hundreds of years. From the moment Adam and Eve sinned, God was moving to redeem us. Down through Noah and Abraham, through Moses and the prophets, God was showing his love and setting up his master plan to defeat evil once and for all.

When Jesus was going to the cross as the fulfillment of that plan, he agonized over that decision. He pleaded with Father God to find a different way of saving us, to take the job off of him. Jesus knew the consequences of saving us: he was going to suffer beyond imagination, but he still willingly went to the cross

The love of God is indeed overwhelming and undeserved and never-ending, but it's not reckless. God's love is perfectly planned, well thought-out, and crazy (which is the word I substitute for reckless when I sing it). 

But "reckless" sounds better in a worship song than "crazy" I guess.

EDIT: Relentless! Relentless is the word I want to use in place of reckless! It's three days later and my brain finally gave me the word I was looking for. God's love is relentless for us, not reckless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...