Pages

Friday, January 1, 2016

Year of Dahl Challenge Announcement

It came to my attention in 2015 that I haven't read any of Roald Dahl's books. I know many of the stories, of course, and I've seen the movies, but never actually read the books. Since the box set was $150 at the time, I started collecting some of his books from used book stores and came up with a new brilliant plan. This plan required a little work, so it took me a few months to pull it all together, but now I'm ready to go for it and share with all of you.

I am declaring 2016 the Year of Dahl. 
I am going to read (practically) all of Dahl's work in one year. 

I say practically because there are a few snags to reading everything. First of all, one of his novels (his first adult novel) is out of print everywhere except the Netherlands. You can find it on eBay if you're willing to shell out several hundred dollars, though. Then Dahl also wrote a bunch of short stories- and I do mean a BUNCH. Without buying every short story collection and having a lot of overlap, I don't know that I'll get to read all of them.

From what I understand after scouring several websites, there are a total of 27 books (including novels, children's literature, and nonfiction works) and 48 short stories written by Dahl. I plan to read most- if not all- of them in 2016.

To help me in this, I've compiled some resources that I'd like to share with you.

First, the ultimate list of books and short stories. I've created a few spreadsheets all on Google Drive here. The first sheet is a list of the books and any special notes. The second sheet is a list of the short stories and where to find them. The third and final sheet shows 7 short story collections side-by-side listing the stories in each collection.

Next up, I've made some printables!  Here's an adorable little checklist of all the Roald Dahl books.


I can't wait to use it! I've also created one for the short stories.


I'll be posting monthly updates of my on my YouTube channel, and hopefully here as well. If you decide to take this challenge, let me know; I'd love to follow along! I'm super excited about this, and if you can't tell, watch the video below!

Do you have a favorite Roald Dahl story? Let me know down below and I'll move it towards the top of my TBR.


Disclaimer: I do not claim the images used in the checklists. They are Quentin Blake's works from the original Roald Dahl stories. Also, some of the books and stories on these lists contain adult content. Not all of his works are child-friendly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...